Monday, April 9, 2007

A Child Called It

A Child Called It is a book about one of the most horrible and severe child abuse cases in the history of California. It is the story of a young boy named David Pelzer, who was brutally beaten and starved by his alcoholic mother. His mother played tortuous games with David. These games at times left him nearly dead. David slept in the basement on an old army cot. He wore the same old dirty clothes everyday. Occasionally he was allowed food but it was no more then small scraps and leftovers from when her family would eat. His father mostly ignored what was being done to David, until he finally left, leaving David and his brothers there alone with her. This book is so sad and very disturbing. Following this book David Pelzer wrote "The Lost Boy" , "A Man Named Dave" and "The Privilege of Youth". David's younger brother Richard also wrote a book of his own about what happened in the house after David was taken away and Richard took the place as the outcast of the family. He became "it". Richard's book is called "A Brother's Journey". I've read almost all of these books and I recommend them to everyone.

2 comments:

sweety pie said...

I totally agree. I read that book and I thought it was severely upsetting. I actually almost vomited when I read the part where his mother locked him in the bathroom and made him drink amonia. His throat had to be killing. I felt so bad for him. THe reason I feelt so strong about this book is becasue when I was young I sufffered a similar abuse. Mine was'nt that bad. But I was in foster care for some of the same reasons.

MzQbit said...

I always think that I have read this book - but I actually have only heard so much about it that I feel like I have read it. It's horrifying. One of the things that is surprising about this book is that is one of the books I have had the most success with recommending to students. For some reason the stories are really captivating to a lot of different types of stories. I wonder if its because it is a book with such devastation - and such hope, becuase you know he is okay in the end.