Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Is Television Going Too Far?¿

A few weeks ago I was at my friends house when her room mate turned on South Park. The episode was about Chef returning to the show and being accused of being a pedophile. The episode was absolutely disgusting and made the serious crimes the pedophiles commit out to be some sort of joke. Lets just say we were all in shock, and we most definitely were not laughing. The show was not at all funny and had many disturbing scenes. I won't go into detail, because its just not necessary and makes me want to vomit at the thought of this being allowed on television. I don't really believe in censorship when in comes to T.V., but in my opinion this is too much. I can't believe anyone would think this is something that should be shown on T.V. I just do not see the need to make fun of something as serious and as unfunny as this subject on television.

4 comments:

sallyspaghetti said...

Yeah, south park is sort of a stupid show, and it surprises me that its actually allowed on t.v. I mean, even if its on late, kids could still probably watch it. I've noticed that usually its only boys that like the show, which is sort of weird. why do boys like gross/inappropriate stuff so much ? its weird.

MzQbit said...

I'm glad that you have raised this important and controversial topic. When does television go too far? What topics are too taboo to be made fun of? There is no question that many shows push the line of what is socially acceptable, but who says this line must be pushed. I did not see this episode and I do not intend to, because like you, I don't see how pedophilia is funny. It's a serious and frightning mental illness that victimizes children and has and will ruin the lives of many people. It is not something that should be trivialised.

Thank you for bringing up this important topic, and hopefully the discussion will continue. Where is the line? What other topics should not be made fun of? Several late night comics refused to use Britney Spears' recent troubles in their jokes because they said it was not right to make fun of someone who is going through something so serious. Other examples?

Captian Awesome said...

You're soo right shows like south park have gone way too far pedophiles shouldn't be seen as funny. kids watch this show its irresponsible that the creater's are letting kids watch this stuff.

hews said...

I agree. South Park takes it wayy to far. I find that it appeals to a younger audience though. Like grade 7s and 8s. Teens in highschool dont find it amusing because we know more about, a lot of the subjects raised in their program. Maturity *should* come with age!